QUESTION: What career is best for me? How is career shown?
And success in career?
In Vedic Astrology, career or karma (action) in life denotes
profession, job, or livelihood of the person. The 10th house
rules patrimony, paternal happiness, last offices to father and is also
related to the karma of the person. There is the view that success in career
and profession contains the blessings of the parent, and his good deeds
gives success to the next generations. Hence, the 10th house
is closely related to both ones father as well as ones profession.
Here we wish to mention that the 2nd house indicates
how the person will earn wealth while the 11th house indicates
how much he will gain from his income, i.e. the net savings.
According to Varah Mihir we should assess the career of
the person from the 10th house from the Ascendant, Moon, or the
Sun and the lord of their Navamash. A few yogas mentioned by him are:
- If the Sun is the lord of Tenth house of the Navamsha,
the person earns from Scented Plants, Gold, Woolen articles, or medicines.
- If the Moon is the lord of Tenth house of the Navamsha,
the person earns from agricultural products, articles which come from Water
like Pearl, Coral, and Shells. Relations with the opposite sex or their
company will be beneficial for the person in earning.
- If Mars is lord of Tenth house of the Navamsha, the person
will earn from service, serving the masses, or police, or law or electronics
or medicine or trading of metals.
- If Mercury is the lord of Tenth house of the Navamsha,
then the person will earn from writing work, clerical work, or ancient
texts, or editing or feature writing.
- If Jupiter is the lord of Tenth house of the Navamsha,
the person will earn from priests or related work, salt, elephants, eye
decoration, or eye medicine, or mines, travelling or by serving the teacher.
- If Venus is the lord of Tenth house of the Navamsha,
the person will earn from arms, gems, decoration, artistic things, dairy
- If Saturn is the lord of Tenth house of the Navamsha,
the person will earn from hard labor, killing, speculation, estate, gambling
and horse trading.
According to Bhrama, Garga, and other scholars, the following
yogas are related to the karma or action of a person, and their career or
way of earning:
- If the 10th lord is strong and is also in
exaltation or in its own Rasi or own house in the Navamsha, the person
will derive extreme paternal happiness, enjoy fame and perform good deeds
- When the 10th lord is defective or weak, the
person will face many obstructions in his work. But if Rahu is placed in
an angle or trine then he will earn his living by religious work or religious
sacrifices like Jyotishtoma. Generally, it is seen that Rahu must be very
strong in an angle or trine, then only will the native get good and very
handsome earning due to the mystic world or mystic knowledge.
- When the 10th lord is with a benefic and placed
in an auspicious house, the person always gains through royal encouragement
and business. But if the position is contrary (meaning the 10th
lord is with a malefic and in a bad house) then the opposite results are
there. The 10th lord with a benefic means the person will serve
- If the 10th and 11th houses are
both occupied by malefics the native will indulge in bad deeds and get
much pain from his own relatives.
- If the lord of the 10th is combined with the
8th lord, along with Rahu, the person has a lot of hate for
others and never earns from good deeds.
- When Saturn, Mars and the 10th lord are combined
and placed in the 7th house and the 7th house lord
is placed in or with a malefic planet, the person is fond of arousing pleasures
and by it fills his stomach.
- If the 10th lord is exalted and combined with
Jupiter in the 10th house, and the 9th house is owned
by Jupiter, the native will have honorable work and earn much wealth with
- If the 11th lord is placed in the 10th
house and the 10th lord is in the ascendant and the ascendant
lord is in 11th house it gives all around success to the person
in whatever profession he undertakes.
- When Jupiter is in Pisces along with Venus, and the ascendant
lord is strong:
- If the Moon is placed in 4th or 7th
or 10th house from it (except in 12th house) then
person gets a very commanding position and rules a group or state or institution.
Even if he is not in service, he always enjoys authority.
- If the Moon is exalted, the person becomes very learned
and wealthy. ( This yoga is also known as Gyan yoga and is one of the very
important yogas in Vedic astrology. It is often found in spiritually enlightened
- When the 10th lord is in the 11th
house and the 11th lord is in the ascendant and Venus is in
the 10th, the person earns from precious things or has very
- If the lord of the 10th is exalted and is
placed either in an angle or trine and is also related with Jupiter, the
person gets much honor and earns his living with a lot of respect.
- If the lord of the 10th is in the ascendant
along with the ascendant lord, while the Moon is in an angle or a trine,
the person remains interested in charitable work and good deeds.
- If the 10th lord is in decay or powerless
and the 7th house is occupied by Rahu or Ketu then obstructions
always arise in the persons earning.
- If the 11th lord is in the 11th
house (except Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn ascendants) or is placed
in an angle or a trine from the ascendant, the person gets many gains and
has more than two sources of income.
In the case of Aries, Cancer, Libra and Capricorn Ascendant:
- If the 11th lord is in the 12th
house, the native gets a lot of honor, and rules like a king or owns a
good independent position or he earns his bread with the help of the king
or the owner of some corporation.
- If the 11th lord is in 6th house,
the native earns his bread due to enemies or medicine or brave deeds.
- If the 11th lord is in the 8th
house, the person earns and gets fame from knowledge equivalent to Yama
or the deep mystic world, or with the company of such a person. But as
it is related to Yams own house, frustration or depression never
leave him. (Yam is the lord of Death and the owner of the Truth of Life
and of the Universe. He holds the key which is not available to anyone
- If the lord of the 11th house is in the 2nd
house and the lord of the 2nd house is in the 5th
or 9th house from 1st house, the person gets good
wealth and by the age of 36 years he earns wealth equivalent to 2000 small
- If the 11th lord is placed with a benefic
and is placed either in an angle or a trine (from the ascendant), the native
earns or acquires wealth equal to 5000 coins at the age of the 40th
- An exchange of lords of the ascendant and 11th
house gives wealth equal to 1000 gold coins at the age of 33 years.
- The exchange of 2nd and 11th lords
gives much wealth and earning, but only after marriage.
- The exchange of the 11th and 3rd
lords gives gain or wealth with the help of friends or brothers.
- If 11th lord is fallen and combust and is
placed in 6th 8th or 12th houses, then
no gain is seen for the person even if he or she make numerous efforts.
This yoga is known as Rin and a remedy is necessary for such a combination,
especially if it is the Moon + Ketu or the Sun + Rahu or the Sun + Saturn
or Mercury + Rahu. Special attention is required for Mercury + Rahu in
the 12th house which is regarded as the worst of negative yogas.
As it not only gives trouble to the person but also to any person who sees
him or lives around him, such effects get transferred to that person also.
Career Related to Time of Birth:
Back to FAQ
Order Your Personal Jyotish Horoscope
- We wish to share the following although we understand
it will be surprising for many Vedic astrologers to read, even though in
ancient texts it was often mentioned, but now is missing since about 1800
- If a person is born in the morning, or if Mercury is
placed in the 2nd or 1st house, the person earns
either as a clerk, advocate, or as a technical person or in financial matters.
The best profession for them is related to law or some technical field.
- If a person is born after one and half hours of sunrise
and Mercury is in the 12th house, then clerical work, or writing
about the masses, or sales is most suitable.
- If a person is born 3 to 5 hours after sunrise, and their
Mercury is in the 11th house, the person is usually technical
or secretarial or psychic in nature. They are masters of their field but
never remain stable in their mind. They remain very pressured in mind.
- If a person is born in the evening at sunset, he or she
is good in assessment, accounts, technical matters, and as astrologers.
- A person born in late evening and before midnight are
purely technical and make the best traders.